Today in Things That Make You Feel Old, Beloit College this week released its annual “mindset list” of who today’s college freshmen are and what their perception of the world is. The list has come out every year since 1998.
This year most of the freshmen were born in 1996. For them:
- Tupac Shakur, JonBenet Ramsey, and Carl Sagan have always been dead.
- Their first weeks of kindergarten were interrupted by the World Trade Center explosions of September 11th.
- Hard liquor has always been advertised on television (along with prescription drugs).
- Hong Kong has always been part of China.
- They can’t blame Joe Camel for introducing them to smoking.
- They could always, basically, watch TV on the Internet. Also there has always been the Internet.
- George Stephanopoulos is a short, middle-aged TV journalist, not a short young senior White House staffer.
- Presidents never win in landslides.
- They didn’t have to hide porn under their beds (though they did have to deal with the rather more awkward “browser history” problem).
- What the hell is Netscape?
Read the full list here.
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.