It’s sign-off time, and I’d like to thank everybody for your comments and your kindness toward yours truly, your weekend guest blogger.
Some odds and ends to leave you with:
* Vladmir Putin is poised to “win” the Russian presidential election (surprise!), and not everyone is happy.
* Rick Santorum is playing down expectations in the upcoming Super Tuesday Ohio primary, now that the Marist poll has all but erased the lead he held until today.
* The one-legged stool: Remember when the right wing was, in Reagan’s words, “a three-legged stool”? Now it’s more like a pedestal in which the economic conservatives, so-called national security conservatives and the social conservatives have consolidated the conservative narrative into one culture-laced toxic log. More here.
And believe it or not, there’s more on Rush Limbaugh’s misogynist meltdown:
* The presidential candidates respond, with Romney focusing, like Rush, on word choice; Santorum calling Limbaugh’s tirades against Sandra Fluke “absurd,” and Ron Paul saying the radio host only apologized in order to keep his sponsors. Newt Gingrich, of course, blamed the elite media.
* In case you missed it, Rep. Darrell Issa — who got the Sandra Fluke controversy going when he refused to allow the Georgetown Law student to testify on his panel about the birth control mandate and religious freedom — responded to calls for his condemnation of the Limbaugh assault by complaining that Democrats were mean to “people of faith.”
* Today The Rush Limbaugh Show lost yet another advertiser, bringing the total so far to seven.
* And Saturday Night Live’s “James Carville” predicted that Rush will survive — “like that show, ‘Cops.’”
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.