It was nice of Todd Akin to give news week such a good start. If he’d be nice enough to hang in there for another day or two, political writers would greatly appreciate it.
* Who’s happiest person in Washington about Akin’s troubles, other than Sen. Claire McCaskill? Probably Kansas GOP congressman Kevin Yoder, whose skinny-dipping-in-Sea-of-Gallilee incident will be washed away.
* James Fallows dismantles Niall Ferguson’s sloppy “Obama’s Gotta Go”
NewsBeast cover essay.
* Augusta National Golf Club admits first two women, one of them Condi Rice. McCain congrats club for “joining 21st century.” Try 20th.
* Krugman kicker today is a fine one-liner: “Mr. Ryan isn’t a serious man — he just plays one on TV.”
And in non-political news:
* New research shows chocolate lowering blood pressure, improving cognition. Very happy to hear that.
Back in just a bit, after some blood pressure/cognition meds.
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.