The president’s advocacy of speedy deliberation notwithstanding, I think we’ll be arguing about immigration reform for a good chunk of this year. For now, here are some final news items of the day:
* New CBS poll shows 51% favoring “path to citizenship” for undocumented people now in U.S.; 25% favoring deportation; and 20% a “guest worker” program. Among GOPers, deportation edges path to citizenship 36/35.
* Guardian’s Harry Enten reviews the reasons shift on immigration may not help Republicans much with Latinos—or in winning presidential elections.
* PPI’s Will Marshall lays out “little bargain” debt strategy for Obama.
* At Ten Miles Square, John Sides notes post-Newtown media coverage of gun issues massively larger than in periods after previous gun massacres.
* At College Guide, Matthew Kahn notes new study indicating most college students value “amenities” more than academic quality.
And in non-political news:
* Band’s cheap pyrotechnic devices intended for outdoor use blamed by police for Brazilian night club fire that killed 234.
In closing, here’s another video of the Irish band Horslips, performing “Speed the Plough” in 2009. They’ve still got it.
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.