I’m trying to enjoy that brief anxiety-free calendar space between National Signing Day and Ash Wednesday. But the political types just won’t let me.
Here are some remains of the day:
* Big shock: Catholic Bishops reject HHS compromise on contraception coverage mandate, but welcome further concessions—er, I mean “negotiations.”
* Code Pink protests temporarily halt Brennan hearings.
* At TNR, Tim Starks outlines Congress’ failure to exercise oversight of drones.
* At Ten Miles Square, John Sides notes that Obama’s allegedly liberal inaugural themes pretty popular generally.
* At College Guide, Daniel Luzer argues U.S. inequality a huge drag on American performance in international measurements of educational achievement.
And in non-political news:
* Connecticut woman draws down w/ semi-automatic weapon during parental dispute at Chuck E. Cheese.
To end the day, here again is the ever-blessed Lucinda Williams performing “Pineola” on VH1 in 2001.
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.