Props to Michael Lind for waking me up on an increasingly drowsy Tuesday afternoon. Here are some final news/views items of the day:
* Dumb wingnut state legislator du jour: a Missouri pol who introduced bill to make introduction of bill restricting gun rights a “Class D Felony.”
* Tea Party Patriots sends out fundraising email with photoshopped image of Karl Rove dressed up like Heinrich Himmler. TPP now blames hireling firm, apologizes. Just a little falling out among friends.
* TNR’s Molly Redden profiles new NARAL president Ilyse Hogue, born the year the organization was founded. \
* At Ten Miles Square, James Wimberley marshals evidence that “well-regulated militias” no longer associated with stable democratic regimes.
* At College Guide, Daniel Luzer reports study indicating that 80% of citations in academic papers reference material the authors haven’t actually read.
And in non-political news:
* Macy’s suing JC Penney to block deal with Martha Stewart.
To close this day, here’s White Stripes again, performing “Icky Thump” at Hyde Park.
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.