Went out to dinner last night, and missed most of the Oscars for about the 50th consecutive time. Hope those of you into the event enjoyed the ten-hour spectacle. At least I’ll have a better idea which movies I will actually watch.
Here are some mid-day morsels for a rancorous pre-sequester Monday:
* Roll Call’s Niels Lesniewski reports Senate negotiators nowhere close to deal on gun background checks.
* More signs of that new, “reformed” conservative movement: Rick Perry and Newt Gingrich join speaker’s list at CPAC 2013.
* Glenn Reynolds suggests GOP go after youth vote by pushing for lowering of drinking age back to 18.
* Ben Domench excommunicates Rick Scott from ranks of those brave GOP governors and puts Bob McDonnell on probation.
* At TNR, Robert Draper profiles Chris Van Hollen as potential future House Speaker.
And in non-political news:
* Nate Silver’s predictions missed one of major the Oscar awards (Best Supporting Actor), but he sure wasn’t surprised by Argo’s Best Picture win over Lincoln.
Back after some chores.
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.