I’m letting my blood pressure subside after thinking and writing about Rick Perry. I’m not sure why he bothers me so much—my entire life I’ve known and gotten along with lots of people who share his views. It’s probably the strutting and preening and self-congratulation that suffuses most of his public utterances. Maybe some sense of that explains his self-destruction during the 2012 presidential nominating contest more than any analysis of his policy positions or debating skills.
Whatever; let’s talk about something else. Here are some pre-Memorial Day snacks for your consumption:
* Another big interstate highway bridge collapses, this time in Washington State. Luckily, no one was killed.
* Obama deplores sexual assaults during commencement address at Annapolis. Hope the brass were listening.
* Think the MA Senate special election race is heating up? GOP candidate Gabriel Gomez calls Democrat Ed Markey “pond scum.” This guy’s no RINO, nosiree.
* The Atlantic’s Molly Ball takes the latest swing at comparing Republican “rebranding” efforts to those of Democrats in the 80s and 90s.
* New Q-Pac 2016 trial heat poll of Iowa shows HRC leading Rubio there 48-37, but only leading Rand Paul 46-42.
And in non-political news:
* U.S. beer sales continue to lag, though this weekend will help the brewers some.
Back after a moonlighting break.
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.