Terrible heat wave here on the Central Coast. High today: 73 degrees! But highs will be back down into the 60s by July 4.
Here are some mid-day hot links. Add your own condiments:
* New York Times’ Linda Greenhouse waxes angry and eloquent over the cynical opportunism of the Chief Justice and his judicial allies.
* Eric Schnurer chips in at U.S. News with acute analysis of indifference of Court conservatives to “original intent” of the Civil Rights Amendments.
* BuzzFeed’s Jessica Testa pens a long and compelling profile of Glenn Greenwald.
* Daily Caller’s Matt Lewis advises social conservatives to talk about polygamy, not bestiality, in its slippery-slope arguments against marriage equality.
* Cantor bends to conservative activists and works on splitting Farm Bill into separate pieces dealing with farm programs and SNAP.
* Think Progress’ Josepth Diebold has latest summary on state action to exploit demise of Section 4 of the Voting Rights Act.
And in non-political news:
Back after some scheduled moonlighting.
UPDATE: Yeah, commenter trog69, you’re right: it’s not nice of me to gloat about living in a place where it’s never too hot and never too cold. But I did my decades in Georgia and DC, enduring summers when I never stopped sweating, before abandoning an Upward Career Trajectory and a very nice paycheck in order to Split to the Coast. So I do take pleasure in this soft climatic landing, but will try to keep it to myself henceforth.
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.