Tomorrow is the 54th anniversary of Hawaii’s admission to the Union as the 50th state. That should make for some fun music videos, eh?
Here are some final items of this day:
* Charles Pierce notes the Maine GOP officials getting ink for quitting their posts think Paul LePage is a RINO sellout. It’s all relative, I suppose.
* TPM’s Dylan Scott looks at the three Republican-controlled state governments in VA, OH and MI that could still sign onto the Affordable Care Act’s Medicaid expansion.
* At TAP Jamelle Bouie updates us on the status of ex-felon disenfranchisement laws.
* At Ten Miles Square, Keith Humphreys goes after “progressive puritans” who are trying to engineer perfect lives for their kids.
* At College Guide, Daniel Luzer discusses the risky extension of uncapped Parent PLUS student loans.
And in non-political news:
* Study shows 30% of white female high school students use tanning beds. There could be hell to pay down the road.
That’s it for another slow and sultry August day. Here to wrap it up is Trotsky Icepick with an authorized video accompanying their “20 Nights With Godzilla.”
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.