I had the pleasure of seeing Warren Zevon perform in late 1987 at Atlanta’s Fox Theater just after his return from a long bout with substance abuse. He had become enough of a legend by then that X opened for him, but what I indelibly remember was this was the most self-consciously hard-drinking crowd I’ve ever seen at an event, and I’ve been to a lot of SEC football games. The crowd went particularly wild at “Detox Mansion.” Go figure.
Here are some mid-day news/views snacks:
* Federal judge rules NYPD’s stop-and-frisk policies unconstitutional.
* Rep. Blake Fahrenholdt (R-TX) figures there’s a majority in House right now to impeach Obama. He also regrets House’s failure to vet Obama’s birth certificate in 2009.
* Byron York says the Cruz Boom in Iowa is real, for now at least.
* Famously sensitive Sen. Mitch McConnell said to have been “hurt” by campaign manager’s disrespect. Dry your tears, Mitch; he says he didn’t mean it.
And in non-political news:
* Battle for control of Dell beginning to affect sales.
Here’s Warren performing “Detox Mansion” as I take a lunch break.
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.