One of my more memorable encounters with Trotskyists back in the day was when I tried to purchase a volume of Isaac Deutscher’s famed biography of Trotsky from a Young Socialist Alliance booth at some late-60s event, and was told: “That’s kinda dry…wouldn’t you rather buy a copy of The Militant?” No, I would not.
Here are some mid-day news and views snacks from a sparse cupboard:
* Shooting reported in Decatur, GA (just east of Atlanta) elementary school. Suspect in custody; not clear if anyone hurt.
* Two more NE Colorado counties put referendum on creating breakaway state (you know, to evade governance by gun-grabbing tree-huggers opposed to massive fracking) on the upcoming ballot, making five so far.
* Former Bolling campaign manager signs on to advise McAuliffe in VA governor’s race.
* Lengthly detention of David Miranda at Heathrow airport widely perceived as shot across the bow of journalists by UK government, perhaps with U.S. encouragement.
* Former Pakistani president Musharraf formally charged with murder in 2007 assassination of Benazir Bhutto.
And in non-political news:
* Elmore Leonard dies at 87, won’t get to finish 46th book. Another blow to Detroit.
While I break for lunch, here’s Trotsky Icepick with “Whispering Glades.”
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.