I got home this morning on a red-eye, and the name is appropriate after about two hours cumulative sleep. So I’ll do my best today, and better tomorrow.
Here are some midday news/views treats:
* New York Times’ Smale and Ewing sum up Merkel’s election victory and the challenges she now faces.
* Jason Zelgerle profiles Ted Cruz for GQ as more a peacock than a wacko bird.
* New Marist poll of VA shows McAuliffe leading Cuccinelli by five.
* Annie Lowrey calculates and compares the costs of a government shutdown and a debt default.
* At TNR, Kenneth Pollack lays out possible nuclear deal with Iran.
And in non-political news:
* 2013 Emmy surprises, leading with inexplicable Daniels over Cranston.
Back after a lunch/snooze break. Here’s another Chicago 68/69 song from Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys.
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.