As indicated yesterday, I’m in EDT today. I knew I was back in the South when I saw a retail storefront sign reading: “Boots—Apparel—Fine Guns.” Yessireebob.
Here are some midday news/views canapes, some deep-fried:
* Cloture motion on House-passed CR clears Senate 79-19; Republicans split 25/19. Soon a “clean CR” will be back in the House GOP’s court, or perhaps I should say asylum.
* Greg Sargent wants to know if Boehner is or isn’t threatening debt default.
* Why Cruz wins no matter what: TAP’s Paul Waldman counts thirty Politico articles about the wiggy Texan’s “defund Obamacare” floor speech.
* After many predictions it would backtrack on intensity of global climate change threat, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change actually raises probability of man-made climate change to 95%.
* KY Gov. Steve Beshear objects to any delay in Obamacare implementation, citing 640,000 uninsured in his—and Mitch McConnell’s, and Rand Paul’s—state.
And in sorta non-political news:
* West Hollywood, CA, becomes first U.S. city to ban sale of furs.
As we try to figure out the next bizarre twist and turn in Republican fiscal strategy, here are The Strawbs performing “Round and Round.”
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.