WaPo is confirming that the unidentified woman at the center of today’s bizarre and scary incident at the Capitol was indeed killed by police gunfire. No news about motive just yet.
Here are some final stories of the day:
* Blue Girl notes Ted Cruz’s crusading father is still peddling the “death panels” meme.
* Politico’s Alex Isenstadt details the general election invulnerability of the House GOP members pushing a hard line on the CR and debt limit.
* Denny Hastert says the “Hastert Rule” never really existed.
* At Ten Miles Square, Keith Humphreys worries that Holder’s prison sentencing reform initiative will wind up disproportionately punishing minority folk because they are more likely to be involved with gangs.
* At College Guide, Daniel Luzer reports on a theologian’s argument that Catholic colleges should stay away from reliance on MOOC, on moral grounds.
And in non-political news:
* MLB playoffs get fully underway tonight as Pirates face Cardinals and my Braves play what Atlantans used to call “the hated Dodgers” back in their NL West rivalry days.
That’s it for now. We’ll close with Johnny Winters’ performance of what is probably Elmore James’ best-known song, “Dust My Broom.”
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.