Delta Airlines willing, I’m headed back to California tonight, and returning to my regular blogging schedule and machinery. Wish I could make a similar return to normality in the news.
Here are some midday items from the crazy kitchen:
* Rhode Island Republicans getting a tad defensive about raffling off an AR-15 and other shooting irons at a party fundraiser.
* Reid counters “let’s negotiate” cries from House by offering long-term budget negotiations to follow passage of clean CR. Boehner says nope.
* Andrew Sullivan figures racist denial of Obama’s legitimacy is at bottom the source of unusual conservative efforts to nullify Obamacare and shut down government.
* Latest PPP estimate of Republican subscription to conspiracy theories shows 62% believe Obama administration plotting to confiscate guns, and 42% think Muslims are secretly implementing Shariah Law in U.S.
* TAP’s Abby Rapoport assesses Eric Holder’s “gamble” in testing North Carolina and Texas voting laws in court simultaneously.
And in non-political news:
* Author Tom Clancy dies at 66.
As I take a lunch break, here’s Peter Gabriel again with negotiating advice in “Sledgehammer.”
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.