Dreadful post-Super Bowl slough in news today. Heard somewhere that 60% of Americans are taking the day off, but can’t quite view this is a holiday. So we’ll do the best we can.
Here are some small midday scraps from the news-grinder:
* Christie gets chance to burnish “media-victim” credentials via speaking gig at CPAC next month. Group snubbed him last year.
* O’Malley moving ahead with presidential campaign preparations, presumably to be in position if HRC doesn’t run. Could also accelerate veep vetting.
* Republican governors using surplus revenues to launch spending initiatives, especially in education; many reversing their own cuts.
* Pretty rich story of Christie state patrol bodyguard getting popped for shoplifting at PA gun store. Asked that charges be dropped as “professional courtesy.”
* The Atlantic’s Ta-Nehisi Coates examines latest high-profile Florida “Stand Your Ground” killing.
And in sorta non-political news:
* 9/11 “truther” crashes Super Bowl interview.
As we break for lunch, here’s the Big Bopper performing “Little Red Riding Hood.”
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.