It’s raining again here on the Central Coast, which from my personal POV is well-timed after I heard a hair-raising presentation last night from Carmel-by-the-Sea mayor Jason Burnett on the local water supply crisis (which is only tangentially drought-related, but every last drop of water counts).
Here are some midday sips from the news/views faucet:
* I’ll just let the headline from the Hampton Roads Virginian-Pilot speak for itself: “VA GOP official apologizes for genital slang ‘error.’”
* New SC poll from Winthrop shows Lindsey Graham with huge lead over low-profile primary opponents, but still lagging below 50% needed to avoid runoff.
* New PA poll from Q-Pac shows Tom Corbett trailing every named Dem opponent, and suffering from 36/52 approval/disapproval ratio. Self-funder Tom Wolf has jumped to front of Dem field after launching the primary’s first major ad buy.
* TNR’s John Judis defends his book on the creation of the State of Israel from conservative critics.
* The Atlantic’s Robinson Meyer explains the rapid convergence of news sites on a crowded rectangle-image-text model for home pages. Not at text-heavy WaMo!
And in non-political news:
* Stray dog named “Hank” (after Hank Aaron) becomes unofficial mascot of Milwaukee Brewers during spring training.
As we break for lunch, here’s more early Fats, performing “Ain’t That a Shame” for one of those “white teenagers on spring break” movies that were so big in the 50s and early 60s.
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.