Soon it will be May, and actual voters will be voting. Love it.
Here are some midday news/views treats.
* At the American Conservative, Rod Drefer amps up Mollie Hemingway’s criticism of Palin’s waterboarding-as-baptism-for-terrorists a few notches, calling her “sacrilegious.”
* At the Plum Line, Paul Waldman criticizes both parties for perpetuating idea U.S. can seriously influence Russia’s actions towards Ukraine.
* Krugman calls people like Cliven Bundy “welfare queens of the purple sage.”
* Rep. Michael Grimm (R-NY) hit with 20-count indictment for criminal fraud.
* Rand Paul handily wins Maine State Republican Convention straw poll for ‘16 preferences. Cruz is second; Christie fifth; Bush sixth. Rubio tenth.
And in non-political news:
* Fascinating profile of bestselling historical fiction writer Hillary Mantel.
As we break for lunch, here’s some more boogie-woogie from Roosevelt Sykes, with “Tall Heavy Mama.”
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.