Finished season two of Orange Is the New Black last night. Fun, but time to spend more time reading.
Here are some midday brain food bites:
* Obama administration promulgates executive order extending non-discrimination rules to LGBT employees of federal contractors.
* SCOTUS starts rolling out opinions: refuses to provide relief for “straw” purchaser of gun even though real buyer eligible to make purchase on own.
* Prospect’s Robert Kuttner calls for revival of “liberal imagination” alongside sober governing agenda.
* UK ranks first, US last in Commonwealth Fund ranking of eleven countries’ health care quality, though (a) US most expensive by far and (b) data mostly collected before ACA implementation.
* Kagan and Kristol call for return of U.S. combat troops to Iraq. Run in the opposite direction!
And in non-political news:
* Baseball great Tony Gwynn dies of cancer at 54. Very sad.
As we break for lunch, here’s a still photo from The Beatles performance of “Rain” on Top of the Pops, along with audio of that fine tune, one of my favorites.
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.