Put myself to sleep last night reading The Rise and Fall of the American Whig Party. Didn’t take long, but it’s actually a fascinating read.
Here are some non-Whiggy midday news/views treats:
* Neil Irwin notes that inflation-adjusted average hourly pay for Americans actually dropped in the last year.
* David Corn reminds us of 2003 Wolfowitz statement downplaying possibility of post-invasion sectarian violence in Iraq.
* PPP survey shows Americans agreeing with Obama rather than McCain on what to do now in Iraq by 2-1 margin.
* George Will calls on GOP presidential aspirants to admit Iraq War was a mistake.
* Prospect’s Paul Waldman argues Democratic infighting is at lowest level he can ever remember.
And in non-political news:
* Wild Oats plotting comeback against Whole Foods.
As we break for lunch, here’s another of the less-renowned cuts from Exile on Main Street: “Soul Survivor.”
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.