Record number of squid boats out on the Monterey Bay last night. Beautiful sight, unless you’re a squid.
Here are some calimari-infused midday news/views treats:
* 2013 American Time Use survey released by BLS, with lots of interesting data on “leisure” activities and child-rearing practices. More about that later.
* Prospect’s Amelia Thomson-DeVeaux examines the Becket Fund, point organization for the “religious liberty” campaign.
* TPM’s Dylan Scott digs into “sovereign citizen” movement’s claims for extra-legal authority, including right to use deadly force.
* Dr. Oz’s very bad day in front of a Senate subcommittee.
And in non-political news:
* 100,000 migrating ducks jam rural road in Thailand.
As we break for lunch, here’s more Leon, with “Hello Little Friend,” which was probably the first song by him I ever heard.
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.