We wanted to give Phil Longman’s latest post on the VA some breathing space, so we’re running a bit later than usual on our midday news/views treats:
* TPM is featuring the fascinating saga of ME Gov. Paul LePage’s flirtation with the “sovereign citizen” movement.
* Chris Christie seems to be the only pol in America who has no opinion about Hobby Lobby.
* Add Kentucky to the list of states where a federal judge has struck down a same-sex marriage ban.
* Rarely enforced California law mandating paid family leave hasn’t had any notable negative effect on the state’s economy.
* Israel begins attacks on Hamas as hundreds of thousands of mourners turn out for triple funeral of teens allegedly killed by the Palestinian group.
And in non-political news:
* Americans try to get themselves worked up into anti-Belgian frenzy as teams face off in World Cup knockout round.
As we break for lunch, here’s the Sam Roberts Band with “Canadian Dream.”
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.