Lotta chores to do today before flying back to California, so I’ll probably stop a bit early and let you amuse yourselves for Happy Hour.
Here are some intoxicating midday news treats:
* House GOP leaders trying to pull together votes for last-second dual bills, one that would appropriate a pittance for refugee crisis resources, another that would shut down DACA. First a problem, second a symbolic nuisance.
* Ebola deaths top 700.
* Gaza “72-hour humanitarian truce” collapses almost immediately.
* Special session of Florida legislature to redraw congressional districts.
* Congress already planning October recess as it scurries to begin August recess.
And in non-political news:
* Batch of iPhone 6 rumors includes prediction new phone to debut on September 12.
As we break for lunch, here’s another bitter soldier song from World War I, “Hanging on the Old Barbed Wire.”
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.