Sorry for the late lunch, but I had a meeting with some friends that went a bit long. Here are some midday news/views snacks, direct from a Caribou Cafe in Des Moines:
* The big news here: Bill and Hillary Clinton announced as featured speakers at the final Harkin Steak Fry.
* Texas Tribune’s Jay Root has a good primer on the Perry indictments.
* Civil rights groups arguing Ferguson curfew unconstitutional breach of First Amendment.
* Tom Frank suggests stepped-up antitrust enforcement, investigation of housing bubble fraud, and targeting high-tuition colleges for scorn and maybe sanctions, as steps Obama can take to revive presidency.
* Paul Waldman takes on the idea that Ferguson the product of “big government.”
And in non-political news:
* Dollar General in bidding war for Dollar Tree with Family Dollar. Lotta dollars involved.
As we break for lunch, here’s Son Seals with “I Can’t Hear Nothing But the Blues.”
Feed the Political AnimalDonate
Washington Monthly depends on donations from readers like you.